Budapest is definitely a great choice if you’re traveling solo. The city is safe and it’s easy to meet both locals and fellow travelers. However, just like in every other city, you should use common sense and be aware of your surroundings. Here are a few tips that will help you stay safe in Budapest:
- Be aware of pickpockets. On buses, in crowded squares, etc. pay extra attention to your belongings.
- Don’t drink too much. When you go out, you’ll probably see people drinking pálinka (Hungarian fruit brandy), which can be surprisingly strong, so if you decide to try it, make sure you don’t overdo it. Also, some of the local craft beers can also be pretty strong, too.
- Book your accommodation in the center. There are lots of hotels, hostels or airbnb apartments in the center and many of these are great budget options. Staying in the center will make it easier for you to visit the city as well as to get back to your accommodation in the evening.
- Be aware of taxi scams. Many travelers are tricked by taxi drivers, so try to avoid hailing a taxi on the street. Instead, you can download the Taxify app or ask at a bar or restaurant to order you a cab.
- Avoid empty streets especially during the night. Budapest is a very walkable city and the center is relatively small. In general, the city is safe, however, if you find yourself getting lost while walking on an empty street, you might not find someone who speaks English and who could point you to the right direction.
If you want to learn more about how you can make the most of your trip as a solo traveler, download our free guide called Solo Travelers’ Guide to Budapest with tips on where to stay, where to eat and what to do during the day and in the evening.